One of the things I look forward to most at Christmas time is picking grapefruits from a vacant lot up the street from my house. Not that I particularly like grapefruits, but I do very particularly like fruit picking. And what makes it all the more exciting is that it involves trespassing (because while the lot is vacant, it is owned)...there's nothing quite like a minor offense to make you feel young again.
During last year's heist, I noticed the beginnings of avocado trees, which I knew meant that there would also be avocados this year. I actually like those. But when I ventured up to my little "secret" vacant lot, I was shocked and appalled to discover that someone had been there before me! So much for secret lot.
The only avocados left were these green and very unripe ones! Ughhhhh. I don't know if the owners of the lot actually decided to start picking their fruit...possible because there seemed to be some type of new watering system in place. Or someone else decided to go on a fruit picking spree. Either way, these little avocados will be ripe in just a few days. I can hardly wait to pick them!
No comments:
Post a Comment