Thursday, July 8, 2010

Near-Fail: Layered Jello

I adore Jello.

I luv it's perpetual wiggle-jiggle and brighter-than-bright (and undoubtedly unnatural) coloring.  And how red...not cherry, strawberry or raspberry is the flavor, because to me, cherry tastes like strawberry tastes like raspberry as far as jello goes.  And berry blue?  I mean honestly...berry...blue?  Almost as bad as blue raspberry Ice-e.  Which I also luv.

So really, what's not to like?  Well, apparently lots...as I found out today. 

For some it's a textural thing, which I get...I guess the jiggly isn't for everyone.  And well, yes, I know what's in Jello.  And yeah, it smells kinda weird when you make it.  But ummm...isn't that's why it's good for your bones? And what's wrong with a little jiggle in your food?

I personally luv the stuff.  So much so that I actually crave it from time to time.  Especially around holidays.  Because in Hawaii, that's when all the amazing Jello creations make their appearance.  7 Layer Jello, Broken Glass Jello, Care Bear Jello, Cake Jello (yes! cake jello!)  Definitely not the paltry dessert people think of here in California. 

So when the 4th of July rolled around, I was all hot about making red, white and blue layered jello to spread the jello gospel.  But, as I found out (and perhaps should have known), but a level fridge shelf is absolutely key to layered jello success.  My fridge is always stuffed full, and I guess one side is fuller than the other...as evidenced by my slip slide-y jello. 

So much so that I chalked it up as a failure and didn't take it to the BBQ.  And I sulked.  But perhaps hastily.  Because when I got home and started cubing up my jello failure, I was pleasantly surprised to see that it wasn't so bad after all!

I mean, yeah, some of them got that extra 4th layer of condensed milk jello and some didn't...


Seriously...isn't that so adorable??

1 comment:

Maryn said...

Yes, adorable! it was always a mystery to me how the jello could have layers like that...still is!