Protein cookie.
...
I know...it took me a little while to fully comprehend protein+cookie = protein cookie. And it still didn't sound right. It's like this whole bacon bandwagon (not unlike the Saints bandwagon) just about every food website has hopped on. I mean, I may be known to enjoy a piece or two every now and then (more then than now), but there's no way I'm thinking chocolate covered bacon or candied bacon = yum. Although...that bacon topped sticky bun at Tavern was tasty. But I segregated bacon and bun.
But salted caramel...there's something wonderful. But that's for another entry. And ice cream.
My protein cookie sounds even worse now. It will now be referred to as protein "cookie". Emphasis on the " ".
So here's the story behind these little guys. I'm always looking for more ways to sneak cookies into my diet. Usually, my feeling is that if I make them small, I can eat a cookie everyday. But seeing as how this is a new year...and technically should be a new me...and the fact that I'm turning 27 in like a month has nothing...and by nothing, I mean everything to do with it, I decided to make healthy cookies.
Or at least try to.
I normally turn my little nose up to so-called healthy recipes. Swapping butter for vegetable oil or apple sauce. What is this? Yogurt? Seriously? It's supposed to be a cake, not a Clif Bar. Low fat this...non fat that. Just add water? And the people on FoodTV still tell me it's wonderful, and I'll never miss all the good stuff?
I don't buy it.
And here I am...adding pureed carrots to my "cookies". Sigh. What age does to a person.
I actually stumbled upon the inspiration for this protein "cookie" one day while perusing the Food Network's recipes. It is adapted from nutritionist Ellie Krieger's Breakfast Cookies. What intrigued me was that the recipe was very highly rated by users...and only 2 Tablespoons of butter...and carrots? Carrots? 2 Tablespoons of butter?
And not being able to leave things alone, I thought about how the addition of protein powder would work.
The result is not...bad...but not good either. But unlike the 3 bears, it's not just right either. It's ok. For what it is. It is low fat and packed with protein and goodness from the oats, cereal and dried cranberries.
"Cookies" in the making.
Protein with your cookies? Anyone? Anyone?
Protein "Cookies"
Adapted from Ellie Krieger via The Food Network
3/4 cup whole wheat or whole grain pastry flour
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 cup your favorite protein powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 Tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature
1/4 cup + 2 Tablespoons vegetable oil
1/4 cup brown sugar
3 Tablespoons white sugar
2 Tablespoons honey
1 egg
1/4 cup (1 small jar) pureed baby food carrots
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon almond extract
1/2 cup rolled oats
1/2 cup walnuts, toasted and finely chopped
1/2 cup bran cereal flakes
1/2 cup dried cranberries
1/4 cup sweetened coconut
1. Place rack in center of oven and preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Whisk together flours, protein powder, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger and salt in a medium-sized bowl. Combine butter, oil, honey and sugars in the bowl of a stand mixer and mix on high speed, scraping down sides if necessary, until sugars have dissolved and mixture is light in color, about 1 minute. Add egg, carrot puree and vanilla and almond extracts and beat an additional 30 seconds.
3. Add flour mixture and beat an additional 30 seconds. Add oats, flakes, cranberries, cocout and walnuts and mix over low speed just until incorporated. Dough will be slightly sticky and less cohesive than traditional cookie dough.
4. Line a large cookie sheet with parchment paper. Using between 1 Tablespoon of batter, form a ball and place on cookie sheet. Repeat with remaining batter, leaving about 1 inch between cookies. Wet hands and use palm of hand to flatten cookies until about 1/4-inch thick. Bake for 12 minutes, until cookies are fragrant but still soft. Let cookies cool slightly, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
These "cookies" tend to have concentrations of protein powder when baked...despite my thorough mixing courtesy of Mixy. Consider yourself warned.I'm off to find a brownie.
No comments:
Post a Comment